Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vintage Pink Cover Cook Book

The I Never Cooked Before Cook Book



It was 1963.

Modern was 'in'. Modern was NEW! Modern brought changes to the American way of life. And, along with The Sixties, LOTS of freedoms and, in the end...Lots of Men and Women were Single and Entertaining friends...

and a child or two.

Entertaining was to be Avant-Guard and Posh. And nothing like mom did it.

It was a time of change!

And a time when young (citified) ladies didn't always learn the homemaking arts from their mothers and grandmothers.

It also was a time when men were still very ignorant of kitchen skills and simply weren't expected to cook.

So it was the PERFECT time for Jo Coudert to write the book: The I Never Cooked Before Cook Book.

But wrap it in PINK?

What were the publishers thinking?

Perhaps it was a way to attract the ignorant but 'willing to learn male' while letting the female know she was on the right track.

Genius!



Sure seems right for today!

The cover shows sure sign of wear with a tear or two here and there.






The INSIDE is where the meat is...pun intended...lol.

And it should be given a place of honor at the kitchen desk or any place were curious minds will take notice, because it is just that captivating.

As with all Vintage books, the nips, tucks, tears and such are expected; all the signs of a well loved book.

But I love the way the copyrights are shown and the copyright statement is amusing as well.



Remember the old Mimeograph machines? How about tape recorders?

It's a trip back through the Old Days for sure.

And yet so relevant for today.



It's a keeper, for sure.
Enjoy!
Melissa

13 comments:

  1. What a neat cookbook, I was a bride in 60 but I did know how to cook. But I did get a Better Homes and Garden cookbook in my shower and I still have it. Don't think I have ever used it tho. Guess I should have given it to my daughter as she did not learn to cook with me. But she is a pretty good cook now. Thanks for sharing your pink cookbook.
    Smiles,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a neat pink cookbook! Happy Pink Saturday,

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Pink Saturday!


    I should check into this book, it sounds very interesting!


    ~ Gabriela ~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Pink Saturday. Its great to be a great cook but I dont think Im one of them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice!
    Happy Pink Saturday and
    enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate to be a broken record, but it's cold and gloomy here today and it rained all day yesterday! Hoping that I can get outside a bit to check out my gardens☺ Pink Saturday is bringing a little much needed and very welcome color into my home today. Thanks so much for participating. It's always so nice to visit your blog and see what's going on.

    Hope your weekend is filled with sunshine and everyone you l♥ve. I'm hoping mine will be dry☺

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful find for Pink Saturday. Thanks so much for this post. I hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoyed reading your post about the cookbook.

    Hope to see you over at my place for a Pink Zephyranthes Saturday!

    Happy Pink Saturday!

    http://hyacinthforthesoul.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a neat cookbook. I was a bride in 1960 and I did learn how to cook a little but I had to learn a lot after I was married.I bought many many cookbooks and so I learned.
    Happy pink Saturday

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the cookbook and its pink cover. Happy Pink Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great find. I'm going to show this one to my mother.

    Happy Pink Saturday, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post & lots of lovely pinkies
    Happy PS and have a great weekend
    ♥Ita

    ReplyDelete
  13. Have a great pink week. Did you check out any of those recipes? Fun Post. I am a product of the 70's myself and they were some pretty crazy years!!! Meg

    ReplyDelete